If you’re on the job hunt, you may feel as if every moment not spent searching is a moment wasted. Work too hard, however, and you risk burning yourself out just as the ideal opportunity appears – and missing it.
Here are six ways to maintain your work-life balance during the job search:
- Schedule your job searching. Your career demands scheduled hours, leaving the rest for your personal needs. Schedule your job search the same way. Choose a time of day when you’re most alert and focused, and use it to search, prepare application materials and take other job-hunt steps.
- Mix it up. Make job searching feel less like drudgery by rotating tasks. For instance, you might decide to spend Monday and Thursday on job boards, Tuesday and Friday on sending applications and Wednesday on networking or events.
- Get out of the house. Schedule at least one day a week in which your job search takes you out of your house. For instance, try to meet up with a professional colleague for lunch, coffee or a walk at least once a week. Job fairs and conferences are another fantastic way to get out of the house without giving up on the search.
- Try something new. Use the time you have to learn a new skill or hobby you’ve always wanted to try. Even if it’s unrelated to your work, taking up an activity demonstrates to employers you can self-direct your own learning and like to use your time productively, whether or not you’re on the job.
- Practice what you love. Volunteering in a field that uses your existing talents can help you keep those skills sharp, meet potential networking partners and show potential employers you’re committed to your professional field and to making the world a better place.
- Get support. The job search can feel lonely, but you don’t have to go it alone. A recruiter who specializes in placing professionals in your chosen field can help you connect to more job openings and get noticed more quickly. Your recruiter can also become a valuable part of your professional network, before and after you land your dream job.
At FootBridge Energy Services, our recruiters specialize in connecting our energy industry clients with the best available talent. Contact us today to learn more.